Feather Play

Feather Play

Friday, December 25, 2015

Quilting Mini Hexagon Quilt 1

I pray each of you have had a
BLESSED Christmas today!!!!

****************

Now,
How do I quilt this thing?

Here's where many of us get stuck!

Let's walk through this together...
You learn some tricks!
Then you'll realize those of us who come up with designs
are NOT magic!
Totally disappointing...
I KNOW!
(I'm sorry to burst your bubble!)

Since this quilt is small I can use a page protector...
Just a regular old page protector!
Cool, huh?
Nothing fancy...
just something most of us have on hand!

What for?

to cover most of my quilt and draw on it to confirm
a quilting idea...or not!
(Watch!)

So,
you cut the page protector open down the closed side
(not the folded side)

Then cut the bottom open

Now you can open it, unfold it, 
and you'll have a good sized area to draw on.
(If you need to cut 2 open and tape them together, you can.)
This won't cover my entire 
Mini Hexagon.
BUT, it will give me space to decide!

Now you pin it onto the quilt.





See, it doesn't cover 
ALL of the quilt,
but it'll work!

These are the markers I use

You can also use Dry Erase Markers.
They just have to be erasable markers.

Now...
let's start drawing ideas out!
This can be stressful...
PLEASE...
remember you are only drawing out ideas and they can ALL be erased!
NOTHING is permanent here!

And sometimes you just have to look at the quilt for a while
before ideas come to you...

Let's draw!
I started around the yellow/pink first and I like it!

So, I drew more around the teal. 

I don't quite know what to do on the inside of the Hexagons!
Drawing several ideas gives me a great visual!

And another idea...

I've decided I don't like what I drew around the top star
So,
we're ignoring that for now!
LOL!

My goal is to make the yellow/pink star different from all the others!
I KNOW you knew that!
Blahahaha!
I like what I did inside the yellow/pink start!
The stitching would be in pink, I think.
The grey diamonds around it would be in a yellow?
The rest of the grey in the quilt will be quilted in a matching 50wt or thinner...I think.

It's taking shape!

OOPS!
I drew on the lavender in black!
My damp paper towel is my handy eraser!
SEE!
Nothing is permanent!
YET! 

Oh,
I LIKE the purple on the lavender/teal!
Maybe the lavender/teal stars will be stitched in a purple?

I'm going to rest for today.
I like to come back and look at it fresh.
I'll see how I like it tomorrow!
I may decide I don't like it
The WHOLE thing could get erased...
A fresh look does wonders!

We'll just have to see what tomorrow brings!

Have a VERY BLESSED Christmas!
And a SPECIAL time with those 
SPECIAL family members who have come to visit you!

Our daughter and her fiance will be arriving on the 30th!
We'll have a full house on New Year's!
I'M SO EXCITED!!!!

Sew the pieces of life together!
They make a BEAUTIFUL quilt!

Nina













No comments:

Post a Comment